Sunday, December 14, 2008

Aspirational Dressing

In a recent issue of In Style, several designers gave us a glimpse into their personal aesthetics, offering two conflicting opinions regarding one’s outfit choices [dress comfortably vs. dress up] that have CC querying: Should we dress for the life we have, or the life we want?
CC is a firm believer in the latter.
At right, an Allure editorial. Who says ball gowns and tiaras are inappropriate for the laundromat?
At left, an Eugenio Recuenco editorial for Vogue Bride Spain courtesy Fellow Fashionista Nothing Elegant. Are you the type of gal who even overdresses for bed? CC sure hopes so! [For the purposes of this rant, CC temporarily abandons her third person narrative… Brace yourselves, darlings!]
Granted, there are some sequined La Petite Salope bustiers and shockingly short AKA dresses in my closet which have not yet made their debut, but I feel strongly that I will wear them, and thus I continue to buy such fabulous pieces. I suppose this is
exactly the type of customer upon whom the retail clothing industry depends: the aspirational dresser. Sure, we all have an ample supply of jeans and tees, but what fun it to purchase more of the same, particularly when that fabulous Miu Miu pump beckons from the SOHO store front? And what business does anyone but a bazillionaire have buying Kiki de Montparnasse lingerie at full price? Who cares! Does a collector of baseball cards or fine art routinely parade his acquisitions around town? Surely not! He is content with the knowledge that he owns them, that the little treasures are safely tucked away or displayed in the privacy of his own home. Such is the plight (or privilege) of the aspirational dresser. She will unabashedly drop hundreds (nay, thousands) on a mirrored miniskirt or a feathered ball gown, with absolutely no “event” in mind. These pieces are objets d’art, precious collectibles whose worth would be enhanced by a public viewing, but whose value (paradoxically) is not adversely affected if they never see the light of day, but only the soft pink glow of the owner’s walk-in closet. I have a pair of Jean-Michel Cazabat silver-flecked lilac sandals that I sashay quite happily down my carpeted hallway. Sure, I might wear them out in public eventually, but for now they are my private indulgence. Call it a self-inflicted sickness, but one for which I will not apologize: ADS. Aspirational Dressing Syndrome. Excuse me, darlings; I feel a bout coming on now . . .
So the next time you’re shopping and someone asks you, “Where do you plan to wear that?”, simply smile and offer this simple answer: “Anywhere!”
Photo credits: Reclining beauty at upper left featured in V magazine. Alexander McQueen and Marios Schwab dresses featured in Bazaar. Kitchen couture photo courtesy niseyisaffp.blogspot.com. Pedro Garcia sandal detail via net-a-porter.com. Grocery shopping in bikini, courtesy Fellow Fashionista Lenore (see link below).
Tagged by the exquisitely talented Marian of
The House of Style with the 7 Personal Details Tag. Rules are to list 7 details about oneself so you readers can get to know you a bit better. Then tag 7 people to do the same.
7 CC Personal Details:
1) I am a rabid overdresser (see above rant and Pedro Garcia jeweled peep toes, at left).
2) I’ve been in school pretty much my entire life. My degrees include a B.A. in Art History, a Law Degree, and a Masters in Spanish! Anyone with a brills idea about a career that would combine these disparate interests, give CC a holler at
carriecalligraphy@gmail.com.
3) Not normally technologically inclined, I am
absolutely addicted to my iPhone, which is nearly a year and a half old. I honestly sleep with it. Sad but true.
4) Through my friend Nina, I have recently “discovered” vintage clothing. Now I am totally hooked! Additionally, I am absolutely fascinated with the history of attire, fashion writing, and our retail culture. At right, a 1933 Lord & Taylor window design.
Photo courtesy nytimes.com.
5) My music tastes are so varied that some of the songs on my playlist look like mistakes. Am currently DEEPLY into Band of Horses, The Cars, Gift of Gab and Mika. Random!
6) I value old-fashioned niceties like grammar,
manners, hand-written letters and chivalry. I do the New York Times crossword every day and I quite enjoy it when people open doors for one another and use pronouns correctly.
7) When I was a little girl, I always dreamed of being a writer. Having cycled through various other careers, I am now back where I started, with a clean slate and dreams of being published…I am tagging the following Fellow Fashionistas:
Kate of Crave

Cara Mia of Hippie Couture
Ivoreece of Ivoreece's Style Diary
Lenore of Lenorenevermore
Stella of J’Adore Fashion
Lisa of Solo Lisa y Nada Mas and
Juliet of
Fashion Lolita.

Anyone else who is so inclined, you are tagged as well! This is quite a pleasant diversion – thanks, Marian! Enjoy, darlings!

xoxox, CC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers