Thursday, May 21, 2009

Exclusive Interview with Illustrator Peter Breese!

CC was recently honored to interview the über-talented Fashion Illustrator Peter Breese. Mr. Breese even agreed to produce some originals to accompany this Q&A, so you are the first to lay eyes on the four exquisite creations in this post!

CC’s 5 Questions for Illustrator Peter Breese:
CC: Peter, I understand that you began your career as a commercial illustrator and only recently decided to break into fashion. Why the new interest, and what have been the highlights of your experience with the fashion world thus far?

PB: Actually, [blushing] this is all very new to me. I only recently took the plunge into illustration. True, the bulk of my early work was commercial, though it was hardly a career. I was testing the waters so-to-say. Dreaming.
Why fashion? Wonderful question and one I love to ponder myself. What lured me here? Primarily, it was my fellow illustrators who, after looking at my sketch work, encouraged me to consider this avenue. However, I won’t lie, I considered fashion illustration before. You see, I am drawn to movement, like a plant to light, and the fashion world seems to be imbued with this amazing quality of perpetual motion. I love it here already, [laughing] and I’m not even an official member. I sort of feel like I’m sneaking over the security fence and hoping no one notices.

CC: What sort of educational background do you have, and when did you enter this field?

PB: Yikes, now you’re going to make me say what I attempted to avoid in the first question. Well. Alright. I have a BA in Kinesiology and Applied Physiology and a MS in Public Health. I worked as an epidemiologist (medical researcher) and a human anatomy instructor for many years. I guess you could say the human form has always inspired me.
It’s worth noting that I doodled my way through college and graduate school. In fact, when I was in law school - yes, I did the dreaded 1L year of law school as well - my professor, after noticing the doodles in my law book, jokingly recommended that I leave law school and go into art. If she reads this interview [waving]: hi Professor Smith! I guess I’m a glutton for punishment.
But where did I learn art? Well, I’ve literally been drawing all my life. So I guess you could say I have been in art school for thirty-two years and counting.

CC: What project are you most proud of and why?

PB: That is a very tough question because I am constantly evolving and, hopefully, improving. I work hard to ensure that my current work is the best, so I guess the right answer would be: my next project. Every time I see another artist’s work, I think to myself, I can be better.

CC: Do you have any advice to offer aspiring commercial and fashion illustrators?

PB: [Laughing] I will when I’ve made it. Though I can say from my early experience that if you are stubborn and persistent, the pendulum of time will come back for you. All those seconds, minutes, and hours of work will have been worth it if you are following your bliss.

CC: Is there anything else you’d like to share about your work?

PB: First, let me say how honored I am to get a chance to share this new venture with Carrie and all of you. It was loads of fun to do this interview.
For this project, I turned to traditional mediums (pencil and watercolor) in an attempt to emphasize the clothing and implied movement of the women beneath. I think the pencil and watercolor gives the figure a playful appearance that doesn’t always come through in digital media, which I use for the majority of my other projects. You’ll also notice from these pieces that I’m a big fan of Christian Dior’s Couture Spring 2009 - brilliant.
Bear in mind that these are my first steps into the world of fashion, so I am obviously both nervous and excited to have this opportunity. Like most industries, word-of-mouth and networking have tremendous power in the art world, so this is a great chance for me to move forward. Of course it could be a step backward [laughing]. Either way, I’m sure I’ll be watching the site with baited breath as your readers respond.
Thank you all.

CC: Thank you, Peter. You are truly an inspiration. Visit Peter Breese Illustration here, darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers